Sunday, June 04, 2006

The very last barbecue at Ann Kerr's

As you can see, I keep using the term " very last" a lot recently. Obviously it is because my exchange year is almost done and it is the time of looking back and review. It also makes me sad that I will not see all those wonderful people I have met over the year here in the US again. But somewhere deep inside I believe I will.
So this Sunday June, 4 we were invited for a hike and a barbecue at Ann's beautiful house in Pacific Palisades. Some of the scholars and teachers gathered in front of Ann's house at 9:30 and all together we walked in the hills over to the home of Will Rogers, the famous journalist, humorist, cowboy who established a ranch and polo fields in Pacific Palisades in the 1920's and 30's. The trail took us down into a canyon and then up again. It was a good trail with many switchbacks.

This is the group. People from Ukraine, Portugal, Iceland, Spain, Pakistan, England, Serbia, Russia, Italy, etc.

As a reward at the end of walking was this beautiful property of W. Rogers who sadly died in a plane crash.

The horse barn was a very beautiful piece of work. Very well restored. In front of it are buried two of his most favourite horses.



In front of the house was a polo match going on. It was my first time to see this game in person. Very romantic old-fashion sport I must say. Joy to watch.


The way up back to the house was a nightmare indeed. It was because of the weather. Soooooo hot ( you can tell when looking at my wet behind). I must admit here that Adela surprised us, the other people and probably even herself. She walked all the three hours, except those five minutes I was willing to carry her on my back. Good job girl!!!!!

When we got finally to Ann's house I was so thirsty I almost drank the jacuzzi up. It was worth going though. A very beautiful place indeed. At about 1 pm other people joined us for lunch. It was a very nice afternoon where everybody chatted with everybody. People exchanged email addresses and will keep in touch. After the lunch a local historian, Betty Lou Young told us about the history of Pacific Palisades and an educational and cultural movement the Chautauqua.

This is Fernando from Salermo, Italy. He really fell in love with Adela and actualy gave her this hat (Spanish btw).

And this is the basketball hoop on Ann's house where her son Steve Kerr shoots the ball.


This is Ann Kerr. Thanks to her I have learnt so much on this exchange.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home