Saturday, January 07, 2006

Calico - the Ghost Town

On our way back to Los Angeles we stopped at the town which used to be once the richest in the state for its silver mines. There used to be over 1200 people living and working there. It was established 1881 and was producing over $86 million in silver. When the price of silver dropped it became a ghost town like many of the kind. Today it is operating as a County Regional Park and it is stil alive and well. Thanks to Mr. Walter Knott. You can also camp there today and enjoy the beauty and history of this small town where used to be 600 mines.



And also a live performance...

Fascinating thing was also a cemetery where are buried both people from the time when the town was flourishing and also people who are connected to the town today. One of the people was an artist who died at the age of 71 and was a comedian for sure. He had written on his tombstone " See, I told you I was sick". I found this amazing. I admire that man, his strength and wit.


1 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Blogger Jiři Harajda said...

Thank you for the comment. I am not complaining but where are all the jerks??? I need to meet at least one otherwise I will think there are none here:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home